Sunday, October 12, 2008

Ulka pump repair page

Received on: [Sun 9/3/2006 5:38 AM]

Hello Rod:

First of all, thank you for publishing the page with the Ulka pump stripdown and repair. I've found it very useful and I'm sure a great many espresso enthusiasts have also done so. =)

If I may, I'd like to add a bit of information that may be of use to those taking apart an Ulka pump (I think they are all more or less the same), either in it's brass or plastic incarnations (the part containing parts 2, 3 and 4).

The little plastic retainer (3) for the spring loaded plug (4) is rather fragile and probably unobtainable as a spare part: great care must be taken to not 'screw it up' (pun intended) as it were by letting whatever attachment goes at the business end of the pump (usually a over pressure relief valve or a 'T') too far inside as it may cause damage to it.

An after-market OVP I installed on the Ulka EP5 in my espresso machine has too long a thread and I almost damaged the retainer by screwing it too far inside. My guess is that 8.0 mm and some Locktite sealer is the actual limit and quite enough.

I just had the pump on my desk so I took it apart and verified the depth of the available thread (before touching the plastic retainer) with a caliper and it measured out to 8.0 mm, at least in my Ulka Model
EP5 pump.

That's all. =)

Do add this information to your page if you feel it's worthwhile as I have the idea that it's looked up quite a bit.

Best regards,

Carlos Izzo Videla
Buenos Aires
Argentina

No comments: